Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) is doubling down on her efforts to assist illegal immigrants in evading deportation, despite potential federal charges looming over her. The progressive lawmaker has drawn sharp criticism from border czar Tom Homan, who has suggested that her actions warrant a Department of Justice (DOJ) investigation.
In an interview with NPR, Ocasio-Cortez defended her decision to educate illegal immigrants on how to navigate immigration enforcement. Speaking with host Steve Inskeep, she insisted that her “Know Your Rights” online forum was intended to inform all of her constituents, not just those in the country illegally.
“You had a recent dispute, if that’s the right word, with Tom Homan, the president’s homeland security czar, so-called,” Inskeep noted. “You held an online forum, a ‘Know Your Rights’ forum, that he didn’t like. What were you doing? What was your goal as you saw it?”
AOC Defends Her Actions Amid Federal Scrutiny
Ocasio-Cortez defended her initiative, claiming it was her duty to educate her constituents about their constitutional rights, including protections against illegal search and seizure.
“My job is to educate and act as a liaison of critical information to my constituents, and I was informing all of my constituents of their constitutional protections and, in particular, their protections against illegal search and seizure in the United States,” AOC said.
Inskeep pressed further, asking whether she was actively giving advice to individuals in the country illegally—a key point of contention in Homan’s accusations.
“Homan was upset, I suppose, because he felt that you were giving advice to people who were here illegally,” Inskeep said. “Were you?”
“I was giving advice to all of my constituents, yeah,” Ocasio-Cortez responded, reinforcing that her guidance was not exclusive to undocumented individuals.
Tom Homan’s DOJ Request and AOC’s Response
Following AOC’s Know Your Rights forum, Tom Homan escalated his concerns, calling for a legal review of her actions. He formally requested a legal opinion from the Department of Justice, alleging that AOC’s guidance may have crossed legal boundaries.
When asked if she had heard from the DOJ regarding an investigation, Ocasio-Cortez said she had not, but that she intended to reach out.
“I have not, and I intend on reaching out to the Department of Justice to inquire,” she told Inskeep. “I think it’s important to know where this administration stands and if they intend on using political intimidation to silence their critics.”
Ocasio-Cortez is now demanding answers from U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi about whether the DOJ is acting on Homan’s request.
AOC Sends Letter to Attorney General Pam Bondi
Earlier this week, Ocasio-Cortez sent an official letter to Attorney General Pam Bondi, seeking clarity on whether she is the target of a political investigation.
“I write to request clarity on whether the Department of Justice (DOJ) has yielded to political pressure and attempts to weaponize the agency against elected officials whose speech they disagree with,” AOC stated in her letter.
She accused Tom Homan of launching a politically motivated attack on her, citing his public statements about wanting her prosecuted.
“Over the past two weeks, ‘Border Czar’ Tom Homan has gone on multiple forums threatening political prosecution against me, citing resources I distributed informing my constituents and the American public of their constitutional and legal rights.”
AOC also referenced Homan’s public remarks, in which he claimed he had urged the Deputy Attorney General to open an investigation into her actions.
“On February 13, 2025, Mr. Homan announced that he had asked the Deputy Attorney General to open an investigation and that I will be ‘in trouble now.’”
Ocasio-Cortez Cites First Amendment Protections
In her letter, Ocasio-Cortez argued that any attempt to prosecute her would be a clear violation of her First Amendment rights. She pointed to recent statements from Vice President J.D. Vance, who emphasized the administration’s commitment to free speech.
“Indeed, last week, Vice President Vance said that ‘we may disagree with your views, but we will fight to defend your right to offer it in the public square.’”
She asserted that Homan’s repeated attempts to involve the DOJ amounted to a textbook violation of free speech.
“Mr. Homan’s repeated attempts to use your agency to politically intimidate duly elected officials are a textbook threat to the right to free speech in the United States. Threatening criminal proceedings for exercising the First Amendment is itself a violation of the First Amendment.”
Demands for DOJ Transparency
AOC concluded her letter with a demand for transparency, giving the DOJ a March 5, 2025 deadline to clarify whether she or her office is under investigation.
“Educating the public about their rights, especially in a time of rising uncertainty, is a key part of our responsibility as elected officials. A government that uses threats of DOJ investigations to suppress free speech is a threat to all, regardless of political ideology.”
“Please respond no later than March 5, 2025, with an update on the Department of Justice’s response to Mr. Homan’s request and transparency as to whether my office or myself is actively under investigation for exercising First Amendment rights and executing our congressional responsibilities.”
Political Battle Over Immigration Intensifies
This latest dispute between AOC and Homan highlights the deep political divisions over immigration enforcement in the United States. While Republicans argue that lawmakers like Ocasio-Cortez are aiding illegal immigrants, Democrats maintain that they are simply upholding constitutional rights.
As border security remains a hot-button issue, this case could set a major precedent for how far elected officials can go in providing legal guidance to undocumented immigrants without facing federal prosecution.
With the DOJ’s response pending, the controversy is far from over.